2 year old ripping off school friend's masks

Mar 2021
Hong Kong
Hi there,

As the title depicts, we are currently dealing with a 2 year old in our preschool class constantly ripping off his classmates surgical masks.

The little boy has no problem wearing his own mask and puts it on and takes it off for snack happily. When he does snatch his friends masks, he shows no emotion and there is often no trigger or warning as to when he will do it either.
As a result we have been dealing with a lot of face scratches, broken masks and a few traumatised kids.

We deal with the situation by discussion and showing him that he has his own mask and that he shouldn't touch his friends masks, however again the discussion is met with no reaction and he will begin to rip off another mask minutes later.

Anyone experienced something similar or has an idea to why this might be happening and how we can work to stop it?

Thanks in advance!!

Apr 2021
Some place
Hi.
Did you try talking to the parents about this? I mean, not as a complaint but rather concern for the child's development.
It's very much like bullying, his behaviour. He could be bullied by his elder sibling at home, such that he thinks it's okay to bully others.
Information about his background might help to understand the child better.

I don't have kids on my own but I've had younger siblings, and if there's one thing I learned from looking out for them is that kids develop a kind of an immunity for scoldings or "parental" advices over time, so it doesn't work on them. So how to discipline them then? well, one idea is that if you show love and appreciation towards those who wear masks and encourage their fellow classmates to wear masks, even if it's that naughty kid himself who practices this. If he does a good thing, appreciate him in front of the whole class, then he might catch on. Along with this, if he ever does a bad thing, such as hurting another kid, then attend to the one that's hurt, but subtly Ignore him. Do not show that his negative behaviour get to you, give no reaction to him in such circumstances. He might just realize that good is fun and bad is boring because he won't be gaining anything from that.

All the best.